Reduced food intake and more exercise are the keys to weight loss in cats. But how do I make my cat exercise more? you ask…
1. Use fun toys instead of food as a treat – focus on items that will really get your cat moving, like a stringed feather on a pole that your cat will never get tired of swatting at
2. Use vertical spaces in your home to encourage jumping. This could be a window sill, set of empty shelves or a cat tree.
3. Separate food and water bowls so your cat has to get up and burn energy to get from one to the other – using the vertical space works well here
4. Invest in a laser pointer – even the laziest cats find it hard to resist. Do provide a small reward like a piece of kibble for all that effort at the end
5. Hide and seek – place your cat’s food around the house – make him work hard for his dinner!